School, Nursery and Playgroup Sessions
Set in approximately 20 acres of safe, clean, open parkland the Zoo is an ideal venue for a visit based around a single day.
- Free car and coach park with unlimited access
- Free entry and hot drink for the coach driver
- Outdoor undercover picnic area
- Childrens play area to suit all ages
- Disabled access to all areas
- Coffee shop, gift shop and toilets
- Tailored Animal Workshop Sessions
- One Free adult place with every 8 paying children (pre-booking only)
Pre Paid Group Discounts
- If you book and pay at least 2 weeks in advance, and have a group of 15 or more paying people you will be entitled to a 20% reduction in entry prices. This must be paid by card or BACS transfer at least 2 weeks before your planned visit or it will automatically revert to the 10% discount without notice.
- If you book at least 1 week in advance and have a group of 15 or more paying people you will be entitled to a 10% reduction on entry prices. This can be paid for by BACS, card, or cash on or before the day.
Animal Workshop Sessions
If you are thinking of bringing a group to the zoo we offer educational sessions in our “Explorers’ Cabin” to make the experience even more memorable. A variety of topics are offered, with something to suit all age groups. Talks can be tailored specifically for your own groups’ needs, and our Education officer will be happy to discuss your particular requirements.
These sessions include getting close to and handling some of our small animals, such as Snakes, Giant Land Snails, Giant Millipedes, Shaw’s Jirds, Pygmy hedgehogs and others. We also have a collection of specimens and aim for sessions to be as hands-on as possible.
The size of the cabin limits us to a maximum of 30 pupils per session, so, for larger groups we will run multiple sessions. Please contact us to discuss time slots and availability. Sessions last around 30 - 35 minutes.
Charges are per pupil, rather than per group, to be fair to groups just over 30!
PRICE £2.50 per pupil and is for School aged children only—(sorry no nursery or playgroups) Groups of under 10 children will be charged a standard rate for a workshop of £35.00
Risk Assessment Visits
One Teacher (per School allowed) to pay full entrance fee & receipt will be handed to Teacher, to receive a FULL refund - hand in receipt on day of groups visit. Visits available throughout the week & weekends.
Suggested Topics for Primary schools
Variety of Life
A show-and-tell session using specimens and 2 or 3 different live animals, focussing on similarities and differences between animal groups.
Night and Day
Why some animals are nocturnal and particular adaptations to being active at night.
Fur, Feathers and Scales
Focussing on the three main animal groups in the Hamerton collection, mammals (including humans as mammals), birds and reptiles, using many skin and feather specimens and live animals from at least 2 of the 3 groups.
How animals, including humans, use their senses.
Adaptation to Habitat
The variety of habitats and how animals are adapted to them.
How animals use colour and camouflage for survival.
For secondary schools, please contact us to discuss what topics you would like.
We can also offer talks on Renewable Energy Technologies, including a tour of our own wind and solar energy facilities.